Whimsical Wood Blog Pages

Home Page www.whimsicalwood.com

This blog features the current woodcraft, Art and Graphic work of David Stanley.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Pyrography on European Beech Ply 'Compliance'

Just finished 'Compliance', a pyrography picture of a harnessed donkey 280mm X 420mm, on european beech veneered ply, with a small amount of white coloured pencil on highlights.

It's the first time I've tried using coloured pencil and that was because of the beech being just a bit darker than the hoop pine which I've always used in the past. I have another pyrography project to do shortly and I think I will go back to the hoop pine, which is not really a pine at all but a soft white timber native to Queensland, Australia and very suitable for pyrography.

For the next pyrography work I will be doing something a little more along the fantasy line as it will need to be done quickly, because I intend completing an 'in the round' carving project I've been preparing a plasticine model for. This may not be possible as I still have some Illustrations to finish for the book I'm currently illustrating.

After all this I hope to concentrate efforts on some new love spoon designs and also an automata project, that for a long time, has been and still is.., on the drawing board.




2 comments:

  1. wonderful!! What brand of burner do you use? Any favorite pen tips?! I am wanting to get myself a proffesional iron and am looking at the Optima 1 dual burner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Larissa, I use an 'Iron Core' Machine but I have a 'Razertip' pen attached to it. The pen is the kind that accepts interchangeable nibs.

    The nibs I use are mostly three.

    (a) a self made nib smooth and rounded but coming to a sharp point, I use this most of the time because It can be manipulated during use to produce any kind of line or shading I wish without changing the nib.

    (b) a flat shader type nib to produce large dark areas more quickly than t6he first nib would.

    (c) a self made Square cut nib for any calligraphy work I may need to do.

    Each of the nibs I use are polished and kept polished during use with a honing paste on a piece of MDF or leather.

    ReplyDelete